Makes about 6 bunnies with ears or feet, or 12-4 inch pancakes
2 large eggs 1 ½ cups buttermilk 3 tablespoons butter, plus extra for buttering skillet 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons sugar 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt
Whipped cream (optional)
· Melt half of the butter in a small skillet. Remove from heat and stir in the rest until it melts. This keeps your butter from being too hot when you next want to add it to the wet ingredients.
· Whisk egg and milk together in the bottom of a medium/large bowl. Whisk in melted butter, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
· In a separate, small bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
· Stir dry ingredients into wet only until dry ingredients are moistened. A few remaining lumps is fine. Thin out with a few tablespoons of buttermilk if necessary, but you want this batter to be a little thick so the bunnies hold their shape and are extra fluffy.
· Heat a large, non-stick pan or skillet over medium heat. To test for the correct temperature, flick a few drops of water onto the skillet. If the drops “dance”, then your skillet is ready. Either brush or melt a pat of butter onto the skillet or lightly spray with pan spray.
· For bunny faces and ears: ladle about ¼ cup of batter onto the skillet, then carefully add a couple of tablespoons of batter in two fat lines to the top of the circle for each of the ears. When the edges have set and the batter is bubbling, carefully flip the pancake over, adjusting the heat if the pancake is browning more than you’d like. Finish cooking on the second side for another 2 minutes or so. The thicker the batter, the longer the cooking time, so adjust your heat accordingly. Decorate your finished pancake with banana slices and chocolate chips.
· For bunny tails and feet: ladle about ¼ cup of batter onto your greased skillet. At the bottom of the circle, add a couple of tablespoons of batter in two ovals for the feet. Cook as described above. When finished, decorate with banana slices and chocolate chips, either using a banana slice for the tail, or, even better, a dollop of whipped cream!